Followers

Friday, February 13, 2015

February for 12 in 12 Journal

The prompt for 12 Pages in 12 Months is boats, and /or broken with the extra challenge of water color.  I always try to use ALL the prompts for a harder challenge.......sometimes it works........and sometimes it FLOPS!  LOL  This month I use all three, but in a technique I haven't done in many YEARS!  I kid you not, I can't even remember the last time I did a painting with nothing but a pallet knife.  Water color and a pallet knife??  Well, if you use tube style water colors it can be done.  What is so cool about using water color is, that if it isn't quite the way you want it you can wash it off.......IF you gesso the page first.....grin!  The lettering was done with a white gel pen.  So how did I get it to be so opaque?  Wonder through the steps and all will be revealed!
Okay, ignore the pencil, I changed directions.......LOL!  The page was gesso'd first, that's why the pencil wouldn't erase  :(   Being rather brave, or foolish (?) I just squished the paint right onto the page...................................

 
Using just a pallet knife I scraped the paint across the page.  You can see the paint set in the background, they are an inexpensive set, 'cause they belong to the GDs........grin!
 

After adding a few more colors and scraping, I dried it with a heat gun, then scraped Collage Pauge over it all with an old credit card.  This is what seals the paint, and allows you to use other water based materials over the top and not blend them.  Collage Pauge is just a cheaper version of Modge Pauge, but works just as well.

 
I really didn't want to paint a whole boat.......so I didn't!  I did paint the front of the boat before painting the heart, then went back in and did a little shadowing, then sealed it again!

 
The scraping of the Collage Pauge over the pallet scrapes leaves a nice texture to the page.  I left it to dry OVER NIGHT so the gel pens would be opaque.
Easy, peasy, quick and easy!!!  OK! So I still need a lot of practice.......LOL!

Thanks for stopping by, let me know you did with a comment and I'll try to return the visit.
Inky Hugs
Krisha
Some Interesting facts about Vincent Van Gogh:
Vincent had an older brother who died at birth. His name was also Vincent van Gogh.

Van Gogh was close friends with Paul Gauguin, another famous artist.

Van Gogh suffered from temporal lobe epilepsy as well as other mental and physical conditions.

Vincent shot himself in a wheatfield in Auvers, France but did not die until 2 days later at the age of 37.

Vincent’s brother Theo died six months after Vincent and is buried next to him in Auvers, France.

Vincent’s brother’s wife collected Vincent’s paintings and letters after his death and dedicated herself to getting his work the recognition it deserved.

In a short period of ten years Van Gogh made approximately 900 paintings.

Vincent only sold one painting during his lifetime and only became famous after his death.

Vincent van Gogh did not cut off his ear. He only cut off a small portion of his ear lobe.

Van Gogh created his most famous work The Starry Night while staying in an asylum in Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France.

Vincent’s earliest career aspiration was to be a pastor in the Dutch Reformed Church like his father.

Van Gogh wrote over 800 letters in his lifetime. The majority of them written to his brother and closest friend Theo.
  I found these here: http://www.vangoghgallery.com/misc/fun_facts.html


4 comments:

  1. oh what a wonderful work of art, thank you for showing how you did this.... LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so beautiful Krisha ******
    and great you explained the progress!
    Thank you!
    Never had the idea to take a knife for watercolors.... should try this!
    Clever to seal as well . I did this also ... but I just take water thinned white glue..or spray with fixative two or three times...
    works quite well.
    Also a clear gesso is good, but that is very expensive in my mind.
    I am surprised that the white gel Pen is so opaque here..
    For me just the white correction pen works well..
    have to buy a good gel pen in white again ... since I see how nicely this works here!
    Love the idea of the big heart saving the sinking boat!
    Gives reason for hope!

    Great resorce for Vincent ...thank you!
    Happy Valentine's Day Krisha!
    xxx
    Susi

    Hope that we see you once this year at
    ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE
    as well.. maybe you can combine with the other Journal Challenge...
    would be great!

    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! I am a watercolor lover, too --- it's so versatile. I find that scraping the page, adding more water, dibbling and dabbling and adding and subtracting makes a far more interesting piece. I love the results you got with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for explaining your process. I do love the texture of the boat. And the van Gogh trivia is very interesting - thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete