Second Look on the 2nd of February


Taking a look back




Elizabeth the Altered Book Lover




Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mixed Media Stacking Canvases

It is always so much fun to do a mixed media piece when it is a labor of love.  This is my DIL's birthday present (she has already seen a picture of it).  It is a picture of Taylor our Grandson, isn't he  a doll at 4 months???
I won't go into great detail as to how I made this, as it took me almost two days to make it.  I did start by stacking 3 canvases, making the middle tier off center for some interest.  I covered parts with paper, parts with paint, coat of gesso, inks here and there, modeling paste through a stencil, ink through a stencil and some splattering of ink.  Most of the shapes are grunge board and had to be painted.  There are flowers, sea shells, stamped sport balls, buttons in the shapes of cars and dogs.  The baseball bat on top of the smallest canvas is part of a key chain that was my Mom's (his great grandmother)  It is real wood and had a baseball chained to the end of it, but the baseball was too large for this project. The word LOVE is a wooden piece I bought last spring and had forgotten about it, until I needed a title for Taylor's canvas.  Taylor's picture is raised with pop dots.
Below are some close-ups of different areas:
this shows the stacking of the 3 canvases

lower left corner and the wooden word.

smallest canvas has his stats

upper right corner

lower right corner.
I am going to enter this is the Unruly Paper Arts RAQ 2: wooden accents
and
Our Creative Corners challenge: forgotten things
---------------------------                ------------------------------------

Taylor.....three years later
2016


Thanks for stopping by.....want to share something for the second time??  
Link up with Elizabeth HERE.

Comments

What a fabulous canvas you made with so much LOVE - worth a second look indeed- and your Taylor was and is CUTE!!! Lovely boy!
oxo Susi
jinxxxygirl said…
I lOVE what you made there Krisha... so clever with the raised canvases... and look at the cutie three years later... What a great post ! Hugs! deb
Valerie-Jael said…
What a little Sweetie, then and now. That's a fabulous idea with 3 canvases, never tried that yet! Thanks for your nice comments on my blog! Hugs, Valerie
Your three canvas beauty is simply INCREDIBLE. You put everything but the ball and the kitchen sink in this. It is amazing. I like that you used three canvases for height and lift. Your use of modeling paste and stamping made this even more special. I can see how it took two days to complete. I have never seen this before, so I'm simply thrilled that you shared it again for your second look on the 2nd.

I confess, your grandson is adorable, but he sure looks older than three!
Oh My! This stacked canvas is gorgeous! Dn't children grow up quickly these days - I don't remember mine doing that!! Hugs,Chrisx
I'm glad you showed your artwork again and then Taylor in 2016. How fast our babies change, don't they? It was a great piece then, and I'm sure your DIL still loves having that piece. Hugs-Erika