T is for BBQ, Music and NUTS!

 

 
Tuesday is back again, rolls around faster each week.........or is it just me??  Yes, there are a lot of pictures in this post, it was a BIG weekend for us.  I am going to start at the end with this big glass of iced tea I had with my lunch on the way home. If you are just here for Tuesday's T with Elizabeth and want to skip the BBQ photos, the music photos, and the yard sale photos, now would be the time to do it............grin
 
Okay so on with the "meat" of this post.  This last weekend was an other BBQ Competition, that took us about 4 hours down south to a little mountain community, just about 15 miles east of Escondido (for those who know California) called Valley Center.  The competition was at the Bates Nut Farm, about 100 acres nestled in the hills.  They have quite a few events here.  Last October we met youngest son and family here for the HUGE pumpkin patch festival. I won't go into a long description, just a short caption under the pictures to say what the photos are of............................
Saturday morning we woke to a cool overcast.  We LOVED it!!
 
 
Cool enough to wear jackets to season the 9 racks of ribs!
 
The left is the smoker we cook the meat in, the right is all the seasonings and other things needed. (well just a few LOL)
 


Top: our little both with our banner, a shot of the playhouse, youngest son is the only one working
Bottom are two shots of one side of the row we were in.  31 contestants, but this row sold tastings.  These are some of the BIG guys in BBQ around here.
 
The meat has to go into a judging box for a blind judging.
On the top is chicken thighs and pork ribs
Bottom is pulled pork and beef brisket.
We are judged on the appearance of these boxes also.
 

They were having a HUGE yard sale the same day, about 20 acres of yard sale.  I would guess that there were about 200 YS booths.  Everything from pots and plants, to angel wings, to a ROCKER FOR ELIZABETH and a saddle to ride it home with.
All the events going on were put on by the Valley Center band and boosters.  This was their 3rd annual event, but the first time for the Kansas City BBQ competition.  These are the kids setting up in the park type area, and the bottom right is a photo taken form the Playhouse door, yep front row seats to this band stage.
 
 
We stopped at Bass Pro (the only on in California) that is a very, very large sporting goods store.
top row is a picture form the second floor looking out over 1/4 of the main floor, and the stuffed animals above the men's dressing room.
Bottom: Around the main floor at the ceiling and the rocks around the base of the second floor.

These are real stuffed animals that are placed around the two elevators with water features.
Top right are two mannequins fishing in a real creek.  The little girl is a real little girl....LOL  
 


 It was a super weekend, even if we didn't do well in the competition.  I probably took close to 100 pictures with my camera and my phone, tried to give you a variety of what was going on and how tings go at a competition, and the Bass Pro shop is always a stop for us on the way home.  There is a full sized restaurant in this store, that is where I had my tea with my lunch.  I did buy a pretty top and a pair of flip flop while we were there, DH bought a pound of walnut fudge!!!!!   LOL
 
Tip to get linked up with Elizabeth the Altered Book Lover, but will have to make the tea rounds in the morning (Monday night here........well almost Tuesday now)  It was a long day, the Playhouse had to be cleaned from top to bottom.  I started early ( like 6am) as it was HOT here today. So glad the Playhouse has 2 air conditioners in it. It hit 109' (F) by noon and stayed there until well after 4PM.
 
That's it for me this week, between the loooong day and the heat I am all done in...................
 
Happy T-day and Inky Hugs
Krisha





 
 
 

About Bates Nut Farm

Bates Nut Farm started with walnuts, but now purchases nuts from all over the world. Pistachios, pecans, cashews, peanuts, pignolias, sunflower seeds and much more can be purchased on the farm. The nuts come raw, roasted, some spiced up and unsalted. To ensure quality and freshness we roast and package our nuts on the farm. The Bates family takes pride in providing a quality product at a fair price. It’s part of the tradition.
Bates Nut Farm check it out here

Comments

I had to laugh at the little girl at the Bass Pro Shop. There are several in MO, the state I used to live in, so I'm quite familiar with them. At one, they have sea turtles and lots of underwater fish and mammals. It was a HUGE tank that you could see from three sides. Had to laugh also at the thought of a GUN advocate in CA, a state that would get rid of guns in a heartbeat if it could. Of course, I'm vocal about my gun rights, emphasis on 2nd Amendment RIGHTS.

I'm thrilled you showed the boxes. Now I know what the lettuce is for, and why the boxes are so important.

Why is KC BBQ so special? How does it differ from other BBQ? As someone who has lived in KC, I have often wondered, so thought I might ask the "expert."

BTW, one of the reasons I've been offline, other than a power outage early, early Saturday, is I've been helping Sally clean her house. It is sinfully cluttered (at the point of being classified a hoarder's house), and now that she can't get around as easily as before, she is a bit more willing to let me pitch a few things. However, I'm really proud of the way she's getting around. She has this big boot she's supposed to wear, but only wears it when she goes out. thanks for asking.
Eliza said…
These American BBQ's have always fascinated me and the cook off's you have we have nothing like that here is Australia. Gosh I am going to have to do a trip over there one day to check it all out. That store looks amazing. Are you art stores like this too? Thanks for sharing it is my first time entering here and I have really enjoyed your part of the world.

Happy Tuesday
Hugs Eliza & Yoda 8
Darla said…
Your family seems to have a lot of fun with the BBQ competitions. I'd have a lot of fun with the tasting. Never heard of Bass Pro but the place must be amazing to see.

Darla
I'm sorry y'all didn't do as well as you had hoped in the contest, but ya know those judges sometimes have "off" days ;) .... Memphis is a big BBQ town, and I know how seriously people take their BBQ. And how much fun they have, too. :)
Linda Kunsman said…
that is SOME event! I can't imagine a place having so many sale booths,but what fun to look thru. You took some great pictures-love the collages, and the last set with the real live girl:):) Happy T day- and stay cool!
~*~Patty S said…
Looks and sounds like your family has a grand time no matter where you go or the outcome and you get delicious food as a winning prize!
I admire you for all the hard work that must go into these events...
you all are very energetic...
Happy T Day to ya
oxo
Dianne said…
what fun photos...and a whirlwind week for you, apparently! I thought that was a giant fish aquarium in the background with your iced tea! the BBQ event looks like it was exciting with a lot going on. I fear I would have spent the day in the garage sale!! happy T day ☺
Dianne said…
what fun photos...and a whirlwind week for you, apparently! I thought that was a giant fish aquarium in the background with your iced tea! the BBQ event looks like it was exciting with a lot going on. I fear I would have spent the day in the garage sale!! happy T day ☺
Crystal Komara said…
Hi Krisha, OMG for a girl in Massachusetts, 109 degrees is WAY more than hot! You're going to need a whole lot more ice tea that that! And your BBQ posts always leave me so hungry!!
Your post presentation is as beautiful as the box presentation. Of course, I am drooling over the bbq, too!

I have heard of Bass Pro Shops but have never been to one. Looks like they sell just about everything!

Thanks for sharing all the info on the competitions--never knew there was so much involved!
Ariel said…
You did have a super duper weekend! 200 yard sale booths! O my, I would have loved to be there. I love going for these sales, you never know what treasures you will find.
Thank you so much for you comment on my post. My son is going to be very happy to see all the lovely things written about his poetry. Hope that will encourage him to continue with his writing
Have a lovely T day
Susan
Anonymous said…
walnut fudge! he's a keeper, no? ;-)
Looks like it was a fun day. Lots to do and see and of course EAT
Happy T to you
~Dawn
Halle said…
MMMM... more ribs. Love ribs. I think I salivated though the rest of the post...I might have to go back and read it again.
Happy Tuesday!
dawn said…
Hello and Happy T Day! So glad you shared these pictures again with us. So fun reading about your cook competitions, so fun and family friendly. That is a lot of yard sale stuff to enjoy! Sorry you didn't do as well as you hoped. Better luck next time. Just seeing these ribs makes me hungry, wish I had some.
Thanks for sharing and have a nice day!
Denise Price said…
I have been to Escondido, but not Valley Center. Thanks for taking us on a virtual tour of the competition grounds. There is some sort of BBQ contest commercial that I always see on CBS, but I never really understood it until I started reading your BBQ posts. Thanks, and Happy T Day!
Rita said…
109 degrees!!! OMG! I wouldn't survive!
I'm glad you brought us with so I could see it all vicariously where it's cooler--LOL! I thought of Elizabeth as soon as I saw the rocking horse!
Happy T-Day! :)
peggy aplSEEDS said…
Hello, I'm visiting from Elizabeth's and I must say, you made me hungry with those photos of the BBQ. I would have loved to have a taste and go visit the booths in the yard sale!
Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS